News From The Grove

I’m sorry – Toure

Posted in Arsenal by Our Correspondent on February 27, 2007

Kolo Toure has apologised for his sending off at the end of the Carling Cup Final on Sunday.
He was the captain on the day and clashed with John Obi Mikel in the dying seconds of the match at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. Referee Howard Webb decided to show the red card to both players, Emmanuel Adebayor also went for his part in the resulting melee.

“I apologise for this moment,” said Toure afterwards. “I regret my actions.

“Chelsea were winning and were starting to waste time. I was not happy with that, which is why I went to Mikel and had some words with him.”

Toure is likely to pick up a three-game suspension but is hopeful his barely blemished record — one red card in over 200 games for Arsenal — will count in his favour if further action is considered by the FA.

“I do not think so,” replied the 25-year-old when asked if he should get banned. “When they look at the tape, they will see I have done nothing wrong. I have had a lot of games, but do not choose to do that type of thing.

“The people who run football know who is bad and they know that I am always trying to do my best for the Club, the team and the fans as well.

“It can happen to anybody, though. You can make a mistake in any job, or do something bad. That is why you need to apologise, which I have done. You do not need to make it bigger.”


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Advertisements

Rivals Beware!

Posted in Arsenal by Our Correspondent on February 27, 2007

Cesc Fabregas has warned the rest of the Premiership that Arsenal are only going to get stronger.

They lost 2-1 to Chelsea in the Carling Cup final on Sunday but the young Gunners again caught the eye.

Theo Walcott scored his first goal for the club to put Arsenal ahead, while the likes of Abou Diaby, Denilson and Armand Traore impressed throughout the entire Carling Cup campaign.

Fabregas believes Arsenal could be the dominant force in English football within three years and thinks the competition should be very concerned.

“If I was in another team, I would be scared if you could see all the young players who are coming from this Arsenal team,” said the Spaniard.

“You can see that if we keep playing for three more years together, then we could do something really big for the club.

“We have shown great talent here. I am also young and just try to do my best for the team.”

Fabregas felt Chelsea had luck on their side in the first half at Cardiff.

“In the first half we should have been 3-0 up. Manuel Almunia was doing nothing in the goal,” said Fabregas.

“In the second half, Chelsea tried to push a little bit more, and credit to them because they are a good team.

“However, their first goal was clearly offside.”


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Arturo Lupoli goes to Fiorentina

Posted in Arsenal by Our Correspondent on February 26, 2007

Arsenal’s Artro Lupoli has signed a 5 year deal with Fiorentina.

The Italy under-21 international, currently on loan at Derby County, is out of contract in the summer and had been chased by a number of clubs in his homeland, including Napoli, Milan, Inter and Torino.

Lupoli joined Arsenal from Parma in the summer of 2004 and made nine appearances for the Gunners.

Arsenal want Etoo

Posted in Arsenal by Our Correspondent on February 26, 2007

Arsenal are said to be looking to sign Barcelona striker Samuel Etoo next season. It is believed that Arsenal are lining up a bid of 20 million GBP for the star striker. It is understood that this is the last season for him in Nou Camp following his public criticism of coach Rijkaard and Ronaldinho. Etoo has praised Wenger in the past, and it looks likely that he might consider a move to the Emirates in the summer. It is also reported that Chelsea are interested in him and are ready to offer a 50 million GBP for his services.

Watch this space